Summer is most definitely here in most northern countries in the world. The sun is high in the sky, it's hot and damp and you see everyone wearing shorts, skirts, bikini's and trunks. I LOVE IT. I can honestly say that I love summer. Most people are really busy with their bodies, looking and feeling as best as they can. And I want to help you out as much as I can!
But you know what's funny? The title of this blog (the "secrets" part) is probably the reason why 75% of you guys clicked on the title. It took me a long time to decide what the title of this blog would be. As I was writing my blog, I remembered probably the single most important pitfall of all times: believing there is some kind of hidden secret. It might come across as cynical, but I want to be honest.
I've been around for quite some time now and I've had quite some clients now. A lot of clients want to believe there are some secrets they have been missing out to torch belly fat, or any kind of fat of course. I patiently explain and re-explain that there is no secret formula. No secret kind of cardio. No secrets at all. What is there?
Science is your best friend, and a good dose of common sense. I can come up with a list of 10 things you can do (or are doing wrong) that will definitely help you TORCH that fat for good.
- Eat less calories than your body needs. I've written about this before, but I will gladly repeat. To lose weight, your body needs to use more energy than that it has stored. And where is energy stored? In FAT (and muscles too). If you want to cut the jelly, cut away some calories. But not too little. I always recommend to stay above 75% of your body's current caloric needs, unless you are training for a competition or in other special situations
- Increasingly difficult resistance training is probably one of the most vital things to your succes. You want to lose fat but keep your muscles? Lose the jelly, but keep the booty? Resistance training. Lot's of it (3-5x per week should suffice). Increase weights and training time as you become more advanced.
- Drink more water and watch your micronutrients. Drinking too little water slows down weight loss and increases appetite, which will make you binge on goodies. The same goes for micronutrients, eat enough vitamins and minerals from veggies so you can lose weight properly. Most authorities recommend a minimum of 250 grams of veggies per day. I always recommend my clients to try and eat much more than that. Try 500 grams a day.
- Don't sit on your ass all day. Do you have a sedentary lifestyle? A total killer. Try moving around in your breaks and in your free time. Take the stairs, walk your dog or take a morning walk. Use your bicycle if you live near work. Go to the beach or to the swimming pool instead of hanging out on the couch. But whatever you do: move more.
- Drop the drinks. Not literally of course. A great deal of adults drink a baffling amount of alcohol. And guess what: alcoholic beverages have calories and too much decreases your performance. All kinds of performance: work, sleep, stress, sports. Everything. Keep drinking to a minimum.
- Buy a scale. You'll need two kinds: a kitchen scale to weigh your food and a normal scale to weigh yourself at least weekly. Awareness is everything, so being aware of how much you are eating and how much you are progressing is vital.
- Use technology to get you going. There are lots of amazing apps out there. My favourite app at the moment is probably FitSociety. Other great apps are Myfitnesspal and fat secret.
- Hire a coach. You invest in partying, drinking, expensive food, expensive clothes and many other things. So why not cut back on some of those to really invest in someone who will guide you in a personal and intensive manner? You won't regret it, I can't remember anyone who said that they wish they didn't hire a personal trainer or a coach. It is always worth your bucks.
- There are (almost) no fat burning foods. I would probably try to forget the existence of fat-burning food if I were you. Proper nutrition and proper training is 99% of the work. These foods, if they exist at all, make up less than 1% of what you need to be doing. Much less.
- Detoxing, fat-burners, slim shakes and many others are TOTAL BS. I've tried quite a lot before I became an evidence-based trainer. While there is some truth to detoxing, like increased bio-active food and increased vitamin and mineral intake, you should be on the watch. Most of the supplements, shakes, fat-burners, slimming shakes are nonsense or pretty ordinary products with savvy marketing. Don't fall for something that sounds too good to be true. It probably isn't.
This might all be pretty general or obvious to some, but these tips might be life changing for others. How many of these items did you not know?