An example of a basic Plant-Based Diet
In my previous blogs I've spoken about veganism, plant-based diets and how to get enough protein . A few friends (and a few of you guys) asked me what I eat now that I'm moving towards a plant-based diet. As an example, I will show you a day I eat 100% vegan. There are days I still switch things up and have a yoghurt, cheese, eggs or something else. But for the sake of illustration, a completely animal-free day.
*Note, I eat pretty differently between days nowadays, so though this day may miss some vitamins and minerals, spread throughout 3 days my intake is perfectly fine.
**Note: this day is pretty plain. I obviously eat like a gym-goer most of the time and don't make a lot of fancy looking food anymore. Less is more.
- 500 mL alpro soy yoghurt naturel
- 30 grams AH cruesli (may contain spores of milk because of the fabric, thus officially vegan)
- Multivitamin (incl Vitamin B12!!)
- 1 Wasa crackers
- 45 grams peanut butter
- 750 mL alpro soy yoghurt naturel
- 200 grams bean & beet salad (kidney beans, red beet, lima beans, carrots etc)
- 100 grams uncooked tofu
Meal 4 (pre-workout)
- 2 scoops of rice protein
- 500 mL soy milk
- 1000 mL coconut water (either before or after workout, depends my mood)
- 400-500 grams italian vegetable mix (bell pepper, onion, carrot, leek & more)
- 200 grams of Tempeh
- 10 mL olive oil
- 50 grams uncooked rice (eat it cooked of course!)
- salt, pepper, curcuma plus a great variety of herbs & spices
- 500 mL soy milk
- Magnesium supplementation
- Vitamin D supplementation
All of this sums up to a total of ± 210 grams of proteins at 2500-2700 calories per day. Enough fats in there from olive oil, tofu, tempeh, nuts and soy. Enough carbs from veggies, crackers, milk and cruesli. The supplements ensure enough essential amino acids and the vegetables ensure enough micronutrient intake.
Easy right? It could be this simple. Less is more, so keep things uncomplicated and straight forward.
I promise to write and try some vegan recipes as well real soon <3